What is Eid L' Adha?
From Wikipedia "Eid al-Adha (Arabic: عيد الأضحى ‘Īd al-’Aḍḥá,IPA: [ʕiːd al ʔadˁˈħaː], "feast of sacrifice") or "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid" is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Abraham (Ibrahim) to sacrificehis son Ishmael (Isma'il) as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened to provide him with a sheep— to sacrifice instead"
My dear friend requested for something simple.
I thought this is a celebration so a gift design will do.
A dove which symbolizes peace is a great topper for the cake.
HOW TO MAKE THE DOVE
2. Then shape the head and the neck using your two middle fingers. I will probably make the head a little smaller than the one shown in the picture.
3. Bend the bird and insert a stick (skewer or lolipop stick). Flatten the smallest end to make the tail and score the tail using your pallete knife.
4. To make the beak, get a small ball of gumpaste and roll into cone shape. Get a scissor and cut halfway to form the open beak. Attach using melted chocolate. Get a piece of paper and put in between the cut (beak). The paper will be replaced by the twig that you will be making later.
5. To make the wings, use the Wilton leaf cutter (the biggest one). Try to reshape the widest end to make it more rounded and then score the wings as shown in the photo.
6. Get a small bowl and put cornstarch powder - you will use this to dry the wings so it will dry to the position you want.
7. The next morning attach the wings using melted chocolate.
8. Make the twig using gumpaste and let it dry. Once dry, attach to the beak using melted chocolate..
HOW TO MAKE THE CAKE
Torte the round cakes into four and fill with your favorite filling.
Create a dam or circle of icing just inside the edge of the cake. This will prevent any filling from seeping out when the next layer is added.
I frosted the cakes using chocolate ganache.
I really love frosting the cake with ganache compared to buttercream
when covering the cake with fondant.
It is true what the experts say that you can get that perfect sharp edges using ganache frosting.
I placed the cakes in the refrigerator overnight (or 4 hours will do).
It took me about 8 hours to decorate the whole cake.
Starting from the cake board, the bottom cake, the lid and the pillow cake.
I put five (5) dowels on the bottom tier with the dowels cut slight higher than the cake,
to make the open lid effect.
I used styroform for the lid although I could have used a 10 x 2 in round cake instead.
Hope you like my creation this week!
Until my next cake!
Here are more photos of the cake.